The customer journey is the process a potential customer goes through before, during, and after making a purchase. Journey marketing is a strategy that involves mapping out the different stages of the customer journey and designing marketing campaigns and tactics to reach and engage customers at each stage of the journey.
The customer journey typically consists of five stages:
- Awareness: At this stage, the customer becomes aware of a product or service and begins to research it.
- Consideration: At this stage, the customer evaluates the product or service and compares it to other options.
- Conversion: At this stage, the customer makes a purchase or takes some other desired action, such as signing up for a newsletter or requesting more information.
- Loyalty: After making a purchase, the customer becomes a loyal customer and may make repeat purchases or refer others to the product or service.
- Advocacy: At this stage, the customer becomes an advocate for the product or service and actively promotes it to others.
- Journey marketing involves understanding the needs and preferences of customers at each stage of the journey and designing marketing campaigns and tactics that address those needs. For example, at the awareness stage, marketers may use tactics such as social media advertising or content marketing to raise awareness of a product or service. At the loyalty stage, marketers may use tactics such as email marketing or loyalty programs to encourage repeat purchases.
By mapping out the customer journey and designing marketing campaigns and tactics to reach customers at each stage of the journey, marketers can create a more personalized and effective marketing strategy that engages customers throughout the entire customer journey.